The SmartSitting Guide to Visiting NYC with Kids!June 20, 2017
Planning a visit to New York with your kids? We love matching our wonderful babysitters with traveling families! Whether you need a one-time sitter for date night or someone to help out for your whole vacation, SmartSitting can help. Learn more on our website, and feel free to fill out our Family Application if you like what you see! In the meantime, check out our tips below for our top ten family-friendly hotels and restaurants in the city.
Our Top Ten Family-Friendly Hotels
1. Le Parker Meridien
119 W 56th St, New York, NY 10019
*It’s best to try for a room higher up to avoid any street noise, but is very centrally located; lots of great activities close by for the kids!
2. The Greenwich Hotel
377 Greenwich Street New York, NY 10013
* This hotel has a hidden away underground pool in addition to its onsite restaurant and spa!
3. The St. Regis
2 East 55th Street New York, NY 10022
*The staff here is very welcoming and helpful, and there’s lots of great shopping in the area!
4. Baccarat Hotel New York
28 West 53rd Street New York, NY 10019
* This hotel is located just across the street from MoMa, if the kids might enjoy checking it out. While located in Midtown, this street is very quiet.
5. Park Hyatt Hotel
153 West 57th Street New York, NY 10019
* This hotel is very close to Carnegie Hall – perhaps the kids might like a tour?
6. Four Seasons Hotel
57 East 57th Street, New York, New York 10022
* The rooms here have big windows with lots of natural light and panoramic views of the city. It’s also in a very quiet location, Midtown East, where you’re out of the chaos of Times Square but close enough for easy access to all the sites!
7. The Mark Hotel
Madison Ave at 77th Street New York, NY 10075
* Located on the Upper East Side, this hotel is a very quiet space to stay with the kids, and has the top rated Jean Georges restaurant.
8. Tryp Hotel
345 W 35th St, New York, NY 10001
Telephone: (212) 600-2440
*Tryp is centrally located and perfect for families! Check out their family suites, complete with bunk beds, plenty of space, and amazing views!
9. The Carlyle
35 E 76th St, New York, NY 10021
Telephone: (212) 744-1600
*Covered in original Madeline murals, this hotel offers a very special nostalgic experience. Located on the Upper East Side, it also has gorgeous views of Central Park!
10. The London
151 W 54th St, New York, NY 10019
Telephone: (212) 307-5000
*Located in the heart of midtown, this hotel is simply beautiful! Central Park, Carnegie Hall, the Theatre District, and Fifth Avenue shopping are all steps away.
Our Top Ten Family-Friendly Restaurants
1. Bubby’s – Two locations: 73 Gansevoort and 120 Hudson St, New York, NY
This restaurant is perfect for delicious Southern-style comfort food. There are plenty of kid-friendly options – and you can’t miss the amazing homemade biscuits!
2. Bareburger – Multiple Locations in Manhattan & Brooklyn
This all-organic burger restaurant has something for everyone – vegetarians and vegans included! Your kids will love building their own burgers or trying one of the many tasty options on the kids’ menu.
3. Alice’s Tea Cup – Multiple Locations around Manhattan
For a truly special treat, check out this one-of-a-kind Alice in Wonderland cafe! Covered in whimsical decorations and themed dishes, this gem will delight kids (and grown-ups!) of all ages.
4. The Meatball Shop – Multiple Locations in Manhattan & Brooklyn
With another fun build-your-own menu, this cozy restaurant offers plenty of meatball combos (including a few great vegetarian options), with homemade sauces and all different kinds of meatballs. If you still have room for dessert, try the create-your-own ice cream sandwiches!
5. Ellen’s Stardust Diner – 1650 Broadway
Perfect for music- and theatre-loving kids, this quintessential New York diner is a truly special experience! All the servers are auditioning actors who perform pop songs and Broadway hits (complete with dancing!) throughout your meal. The food is great too!
6. Brooklyn Crab – 24 Reed St, Brooklyn (Red Hook)
If you’re staying in Brooklyn, or don’t mind going a bit off the beaten path, this Red Hook gem is perfect for a fun open-air seafood dinner, complete with beautiful harbor views and a mini-golf course!
7. Big Daddy’s – Multiple Locations around Manhattan
For a throwback to the 80s and classic diner fare, check out Big Daddy’s! The menu is gigantic, the music is great, and the bright colors and wild decorations make for a super fun atmosphere.
8. Serendipity – 225 E 60th St, New York
You may remember this charming cafe from the movie Serendipity. Famous for their frozen hot chocolate, they also serve lunch and dinner, plus more creative desserts than you can imagine! Keep in mind that they take reservations for meals, but not desserts – but if you don’t mind a bit of a wait, we promise it will pay off!
9. Brooklyn Farmacy – 513 Henry St, Brooklyn
If you’ll be in the Brooklyn (or don’t mind a short subway trip from Lower Manhattan), you absolutely can’t miss this vintage gem. Straight out of the 1950s, this old-school soda shop serves a huge variety of ice cream sodas and scrumptious sundaes. Try the Hibiscus soda with a scoop of ice cream, or their specialty – Egg Creams!
10. Cafe Lalo 201 W 83rd St
A true New York classic, this cafe from You’ve Got Mail is a very special experience. The atmosphere is beautiful and the cake and pie choices are endless – plus they have great vegetarian breakfast, lunch, and dinner! And if the kids need to run off all that sugar, check out the Children’s Museum right across the street.
Our babysitters and nannies make great tour guides. Get started today with our Family Application!